Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This Thing Called Love

I used to think I knew what love was...
I was a loving daughter and sister and friend.  I carefully observed the relationships around me, and I dreamed of loving and being loved someday by Mr. Right.

Then, about 6 years ago a real, big, deep love came and blew me away.  And I learned that love isn't like a movie and it's not always a fairytale.  It's harder.  It's sweeter.  It's bigger.  It's better.


We made our own love story. It wasn't easy - we learned together and had our share of heartache and disappointment. But in the end, we decided we couldn't live without each other and pledged for better or for worse, in sickness and in health...forever, baby.



This man has made me happier than I've ever been.  I have learned more about myself with him than I would have ever imagined.  He has taught me about who I am....and the best thing is that he accepts me.  All my faults and shortcomings and mistakes -- he loves me anyway.  When I don't love myself - this  man does.

We've done forgiveness, second chances, passion, pain, communication (or lack thereof), gentleness, intimacy, trust, home-making, love-making, baby-making....all in a BIG way.


Falling in love - marriage - being a wife - I thought I had love all figured out.

Then this happened.


Through my pregnancy, a love sweet and strong grew deep inside me.  I wasn't exactly sure what it was - but still it was there.

And on February 21st, love came along and gave me a big, fat reality check that came in a teeny, tiny package.


I have fallen in love all over again.  I hold my beautiful baby girl and a love so intense fills me up that I want to laugh and cry at the same time.  It's an obsessive, all-consuming, breath-taking, magical kind of love.  I am forever changed.

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning."  - Anonymous

To my "someones" - I love you.

1 comment: