Monday, June 27, 2011

One Year Ago

Last year, on this day, we were driving home from an awesome vacation in Florida.
Beach, sunshine, snorkeling, seafood, waves, sunsets.....it was one to remember.


Looking back at these pictures makes me long to have my toes in the sand again....maybe next summer?

Anyway, one year ago, we were driving home from Florida.  That's a long 18 hour drive.  We got home late, a little after midnight.  All I wanted to do was love on  my pup a little, take a nice hot shower, and finally sleep in my own bed after a whole week away.

Mark worked on unloading the car and I made a beeline for the bathroom.  As I reached under the sink for a new roll of toilet paper...I saw them.  The box of pregnancy tests.

We'd been trying to get pregnant, but I had had a little spotting before our trip that I assumed was my period.  Towards the end of our trip, though, I just didn't feel right.  I was crampy, I got a little seasick on a boatride (and I never get motion-sickness), and one of our last meals out (seafood - which I love) left me queasy.

Well, it can't hurt....I thought as I fished around in the box.  I peed on the stick, set it on the countertop, then started to strip down for my shower.  I glanced back over at the test after I turned on the water, and couldn't believe my eyes.

(Yes, I had to take two more tests just to make sure...)

I turned off the water, grabbed a towel, and ran for the front door.  As Mark was coming up the sidewalk, I held up the test.  Our eyes met, and we both smiled.  He came in the front door, hugged and kissed me, whispered congratulations, and then proceeded to tell me how upset he was because someone stole his ladder out of the back of his truck while we were on vacation.  :)  Oh, honey.  I think it took a few days for it to sink in for him...

For me, it was instant.  I was flooded with so many different emotions -- joy, disbelief, fear, excitement, nervousness.  I was up most of the night, tossing and turning as the news that changed our life settled in.

The very next week, I started to feel pregnant.  I never got sick - just felt like I wanted to about 22 hours a day.  No energy, queasy, no appetite....all those lovely things that come along with the first trimester.  We could only contain our excitement for a couple of days before we started sharing the news with family. 

Then, baby and I started to grow....
(Those last few weeks were rough, as evidenced by my appearance!)

And we found out we would be blessed with a daughter.

The anticipation and excitment made those 9 months feel like a lifetime, but now -- looking back -- I can't believe it happened so fast. 

P.S.  Will you take a second to click here and vote?  Thank you!

Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!


2 comments:

  1. LOL this is too funny...I just started a post about the same thing today. Sometimes our thinking alike scares me. Anyway love the post and p.s. I vote everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm so glad you shared the story!

    ReplyDelete