Monday, September 20, 2010

Now, I am not typically the person who uses the blog for venting.  But people, I need an outlet.  If you are not a teacher, you may have no interest in this post.  If you are a teacher, you may not want to listen to my whining...but at least you can relate.

At 9:15 today, my principal came in a said "Jenny, you are going to be getting a new student."

Cringe.  Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to welcome a new little one into my classroom.  I just feel so bad for these kids that have to start at a new school in the middle of the school year.  They have no idea what is going on, I have no idea where they are coming from....not to mention all of the little things I have to do to prepare for a student like this.  Example:  label cubby; get desk/chair; make nametag; label mailbox; prepare folders for timed math facts, writing portfolio, and student information; print parent information packet; prepare computer log-in information; DIBELS testing; add student to birthday schedule, star student schedule, and other displays around the classroom; among many other things that I'm sure I haven't even thought of yet.

Soooo, as all of these things are swimming through my mind I ask "When does she start?"  Principal replies: "Um...today.  Like right now.  She's in the hall."

WHAT?!?!?  I don't even have a place for her to sit!  I haven't had the pep talk with my class about welcoming a new student!!

You can imagine how the rest of my day went.

Not to mention, I've got a very busy schedule this week.  Here's what my to-do list looked like this afternoon:
-Prepare DIAT document for Student Intervention Team (this is the process for a student who is struggling academically.  I have to gather lots of data and get all of my ducks in a row before I present the information to a group of people.  They will help decide if she needs special ed or not.
-Prepare New Teacher folders.  I am a mentor for new 2nd grade teachers in the district.  Once a quarter I have to meet with them and provide training and/or mentoring about all kinds of things.  I have ten teachers coming to our meeting this Wednesday, so I guess I better have some things prepared!
-Run math workmats for lesson tomorrow
-Grade and stuff Rocket Math folders
-Score fall writing samples
-Answer emails (I sent home progress reports on Friday....I had an inbox full of emails from parents this morning)
-Prepare student projects for Fall Fest Scarecrow contest
-Review math lessons for Thurs. and Fri. (we have a new math curriculum -- I can no longer teach math in my sleep!)
-Prepare 3 to 4 lesson plans for grade level on 6 Trait Writing (organization trait)
-Staple homework packets to send home
-Email weekly newsletter

P.S. TEACH ALL DAY!

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about my job is the amount of work that I have to do in addition to my normal teaching responsibilities.  I have 1 hour of plan time a day.  There's no way I can get everything done in one hour!  Therefore, I spend time before school, after school, and at home in the evening trying to get everything accomplished. 

Most days I can handle all of this quite well.  However (maybe it's hormones?) today got the best of me.  I didn't leave school until almost 6, and I cried the whole way home.  Stress + pregnancy hormones = breakdown!

Whew!  If you read to the end of that -- God love ya!  At least I feel better.... sometimes you just need to get things off your chest.  The other thing that sucks about my job?  No one quite understands the job of a teacher unless they are a teacher. 

Best part of my day:  My hubby GOES BACK TO WORK TOMORROW!  After a year of being laid off, he got called back today!  WAHOO!!  Thank you, God, for answered prayers!

2 comments:

  1. first of all, i TOTALLY relate.

    second, YAYYYY for hubby being back at work! WOW that is wonderful.

    i just had a student move and could be getting a new one anyday (full day waiting list). did principal know your new little girl was coming?? i feel horrible not only for you but for her!! yikes. i'd be in tears on my way home, too. my new goal is to LEAVE by 6. i am living at school. so i hear ya there.

    coffee date soon? i miss you. how's baby? other than having the best mom ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I know how you feel (well minus the pregnancy hormones thing)! I wish everyone (especially non-teachers) would read your post. Truthfully people don't understand how much work goes into teaching, especially for a dedicated teacher like yourself.

    Three more things. 1. congrats on being a soon to be mommy 2. yay for Mark going back to work 3. tell Kate hi for me! :)

    ReplyDelete