Saturday, May 5, 2012

Week 7

Total Weight Loss/Gain:  Down another pound!  I am a mere pound and a half away from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I am excited to see that old friend of 165 show it's face on the scale sometime soon!

Best Part of this Week:  I got to have a little shopping spree this week.  Well, kinda.  I ventured down to the basement storage room and dug out some "new" clothes - clothes that I haven't worn for two years!  It was like finding a whole new wardrobe!  I have lots of capris and shorts for the summer now that I am down to a smaller size, and I am feeling so much better about how I'm looking in my clothes.  Not where I want to be yet, but it felt really good this week to get those clothes out and know that all my hard work is paying off.

Worst Part of this Week:  I am still struggling with my diet a bit.  I have worked to keep my eating between 1400 and 1500 calories a day, which has proved successful.  But lately, my calories have been creeping up closer to 1600, and I don't want to get in a habit of that.  I honestly don't eat anything special - I've been incorporating lots more fruits, veggies, and protein - and cutting back on carbs and sugar.  The sugar one is hard - I get a candy craving at about 2:00 every afternoon, where I just want something chocolate or sweet.  I eat pretty light for breakfast and lunch and try to save around 600 calories for my dinner so that I can eat what my family is eating.  However, I know that it is better to eat more earlier in the day....this summer when I have more flexibility, I'd like to try for four smaller meals a day.  I do allow one cheat meal a week.  Last Sunday my mom invited us over for dinner and made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and biscuits.  And I ate it.  All of it.  And I didn't make myself feel bad about it - just got back on the diet the next day.  I know that I can't live with a lifestyle where I don't get to indulge in things that I like every once and awhile!

I did want to share two good healthy recipes that we tried this week.  The first one I saw on a tv show - here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/golden-ticket-burgers
The recipe calls for lean beef, but we used turkey because that's actually what she used when she made the recipe on the show.  These are seriously SO good, and we both liked them.  If my husband likes a healthy meal, that's a victory!  We are going to be working these into our regular meal rotation - you should try them!  Mark used baby portabellos instead of the mushrooms in the recipe, and they were so yummy.
The other meal that we changed up this week was breakfast for dinner.  We used to eat that once a week - pancakes, bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy....lots of things that are unhealthy for my diet.  This week, Mark made an egg scramble - no recipe to share, but it was really easy.  He scrambled up 6 eggs with about a half a box of thawed frozen spinach, mushrooms, and onions.  He sauteed the mushrooms and onions first to get them carmelized and yummy, then added the spinach, then added the eggs and scrambled it all up.  We topped it with just a little low-fat cheddar cheese.  It was really good, and actually really filling.  Natalie loved it too!  We ate a little fresh fruit with it and it was delicious.

Exercise:  This week was kind of a hodge-podge of exercise.  My goal is four workouts a week - that's what works for my schedule and our family.  Every once and awhile, I'll get five in - but I never let myself do less than 4.  I did some running outside, running on my treadmill inside (because it was so darn HOT this week!).  My sister came over on one muggy evening and rather than brave the heat, we decided to do some "circuit training" in my basement....if you can call it that. :)  We alternated turns on the treadmill running at a fast pace and high intensity for 5 minutes at a time.  While one of us was running, the other would be lifting weights, doing squats, lunges, etc.  We ended with some abs.  However, we aren't exactly fitness experts.  I'd lift the weights and say to Kate, "Is this a move?"  She laugh and shrug her shoulders.  Sounds safe, huh?  I guess you can't hurt yourself too badly with 5 pound weights. :)  The abs were particularly amusing - we were trying to remember some of the pilates moves we learned in a class we took WAY back (as in about 10 years ago), and our memories were failing us.  Needless to say, I think laughed off as many calories as we did exercising.  My hubby said he could hear us "cackling" all the way upstairs.  But I tell you what....I was SORE the next two days!  Really sore!  I haven't done much strength training so far, and I'd like to build in more of it.  We did have FUN and get a really good workout, so we are going to try some more workouts like that pretty soon.  I think we will try to do some research beforehand though, so we can pretend we know what we are doing next time.

Inspiration:
Pinned Image

0 comments:

Post a Comment