Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cute as a Button

So...after the Thursday that I had, I just had to squeeze in a quickie craft.  My dear friend is celebrating a birthday tomorrow, and she loves to read.  To go with the Barnes and Noble gift card that I got her, I wanted to make some little homemade bookmarks.

I've been admiring fabric covered buttons lately, and think they are so charming and so versatile.  Thought I'd try them out for my bookmark project -- they are SOOOO easy!

Here's what I used to make my bookmarks...
Button blanks....they come in different sizes, and come with the little plastic/rubber setter thingy (um, yes...very technical).  The back of the packaging has a pattern that you can use to cut your fabric just the right size.  This craft is perfect to use with fabric scraps!

Here's a close up of the "setter thingy" and the paper clips that I used. 

This craft literally took 5 minutes -- including the time it took my hot glue gun to heat up.  I cut my scrap fabric and set it on the button blank.  (I'm not going to tell step-by-step...it's all on the back of the package in black and white).  The buttons have a little shank on the back of them, so I slid them on to the paper clip and used a little hot glue to hold them in place.

Ta-da!


Here's the back:


So simple!  Anyone can do this craft....I promise.  Now, I will have to explore the possibilities of these little buttons.  You could make bookmarks, ponytail holders and hair clips, thumbtacks, magnets....endless possibilities!  Plus, can you believe how cute they are?  Go make some...now!

I wish you a happy Friday and beautiful weekend! :)


1 comment: