Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Quiet Evening

The house is quiet.  I sit alone, cuddled up on the couch with my fuzzy fleece socks and a blanket thrown over my lap.  The only light in the room comes from the Christmas tree in the corner, and a lone candle flickering.  Deep breath.

This is the kind of evening I need, after the day I've had.  I took 24 bright-eyed, buzzing second graders to The Nutcracker today.  We had a great time, but it wore me out!  I see the ballet each year, so there's nothing new there.  However, I always enjoy watching my students faces as the ballet begins.  They sit, enchanted, frozen, on the edge of their seats.  Girls in Christmas dresses and boys in sweaters, ties, and loafers.  (Sidenote:  Girls in dresses are cute, but expected.  I still argue that there is nothing sweeter than a little boy in a dress shirt, sweater, and loafers.  One little guy had on khakis and a navy blazer.  SO yummy!)  As the music begins and the dancing starts, I can hear them whispering parts of the story that we have tirelessly rehearsed at school.  Look!  There's Clara!  That's Drosselmeyer in the cape!  There's the Mouse King!  They watch the dancers, the musicians in the orchestra, the lights, sets, and costumes with fascination and awe.

Of course, this interest lasts until about intermission.  After that, as I look down the rows I see a completely different picture.  Boys slumped down in their seats, heads resting on the closest parent helper, legs swinging restlessly.  Skirts hiked up as girls struggle with itchy tights and uncomfortable patent leather shoes.  And the never ending question:  Is it over yet?

Mostly, they did great.  They were excited, but well-behaved.  The problem was, I didn't get one, single, solitary second away from these little darlings today.  I even got to enjoy two meals with them.  *sigh*  We ate a big breakfast before we left since we wouldn't get back to school until after 1:00.  A great big breakfast that I had to serve myself because there was some kind of miscommunication with the room mothers about helping me!  There I was, up to my elbows in cream cheese, egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, and comments like "I want six grapes and a piece of bacon" and "I want eggs without the sausage in it."  My reponses?  "You will get as many grapes as I put on your plate", "Pick the sausage out", and "Carry those plates with TWO HANDS!"  We still had a milk spill and canteloupe on the carpet...

But, what can I say when they are this cute?


Needless to say, I am glad to be snuggled up at home for the evening.  I did some iTunes browsing tonight to "beef up" my Christmas song collection.  Have you heard "A Baby Changes Everything" by Faith Hill?  My advice:  don't listen to it if you are pregnant.  Otherwise you too will be sitting alone in the dark of your living room with tears rolling down your face.  Ahhhhh....pregnancy hormones.  If you are not carrying a child you should be fine...  Seriously, though, it's a really neat song.

Well, I'm off to find some dinner and take my new friend (iron supplement).  My doctor called me this week and told me I'm anemic/iron-deficient.  I think that explains my fatigue lately (I just thought it was that whole "third trimester" thing setting in).  Also, my "episode" at church this week.  We had to leave due to my sweating and dizziness/lightheadedness.  So, we'll see if these iron supplements will help a little.

Hope you all have a great week -- I'm starting to stress slightly about the Christmas shopping I still have left to do.  'Tis the season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment