Monday, May 10, 2010

Sewing Projects

While on a shopping excursion with my momma this weekend, I ran across some great Amy Butler patterns and fabrics at a craft/quilt store.  I enjoy sewing, but usually only dig out the sewing machine to whip up new curtains or a quick pillow.  I've made Halloween costumes for my niece, but haven't sewn clothing for myself since I took home economics in the 8th grade.  Well, I came across an easy pattern, and I just could NOT resist the Amy Butler fabrics in the store...all lined up with their bold, bright colors calling my name!

I picked out this pattern, called Sun and Surf Halter.  Thought it would be perfect for our trip to Florida next month.
I bought this beautiful fabric.  I couldn't walk away from the bright purple and turqoise...such a striking combination.

Even with my rusty sewing skills, I think I invested about 4 hours in this project.  Spent a little time one evening washing the fabric and cutting out the pieces.  Then, the next day spent less than 2 hours constructing the actual halter.  Tonight, I quickly finished up the tie and the hemming.  I am so happy with how it turned out!  Here's a picture of it lying on my craft counter...wasn't feeling up for modeling it tonight, but will post a picture soon.  SO tired tonight, and though the hubby assured me that I didn't have dark circles under my eyes, I decided to wait for a less gloomy day to take some pictures wearing my new creation.


I checked out Amy Butler's website and she even has FREE patterns on there!  Lots for quilts (which I am hoping to attempt this summer), but also patterns for some other cute things as well.  I want to try this necklace:

Isn't it cute?!?!  Must try...soon.  Her patterns are SO easy to follow, even if you are a beginner!

Okay, one last pic...here's my sisters and I with our mommy for Mother's Day.  We spent Saturday shopping at Briarcliff village, had a yummy lunch, and had fun visiting and chatting...just us girls!

We love our Mom!

Hope you all had a good Monday -- it was a gloomy, rainy day.  I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight, and perhaps another craft post later in the week.  I'm off for a week before I start my next set of classes.  13 more days until SUMMER!  Hands down, the best thing about my job. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment